Monday, March 16, 2009

Great film, silly film, horrendous novel

I finally bit the bullet and read Twilight. To tell the truth I was secretly terrified that I would actually enjoy it! But now that I've finished it I'm happy to say there was NO threat of that. I finished being 17 three years ago. I'm well aware of how stupid I was then, and I have no desired to remind myself of it. The main character was meant to be your typical 17-year-old girl: she saw everyone around her as completely one-dimensional, except her love interest of course, and she seemed to believe that life will always be just like high school. Instead she was a complete Mary Sue. Here's how it went down:

Bella moves in with her father in a town in Washington (that the author has clearly never been to or she would know you don't need a parka there). She's too cool to think of her father as "dad" and often "accidentally" slips up and calls him by his first name to his face. Her parents are both completely inept so she has to take care of them, because adults just want to think they're mature when they are in fact absent-minded infants with checkbooks.

She meets a mysterious young man at school. He seems disgusted by her. She falls in love with him. All the boys in school fall in love with her and the girls all either want to be her friend or are jealous of her. She thinks they are all boring and stupid compared to her perfect Edward. She finds out Edward is a vampire. He admits that he is pretty much just attracted her because he wants to eat her and he's curious because he can't read her mind. They declare their undying love for each other.

Some super scary evil vampire decides on a whim to kill her so she has to run from him! This tension lasts about 3 chapters out of 24. Then the book is over and she has decided she's so in looooove with Edward that she wants to become a vampire, even though he has been telling her over and over again how fucking awful it is.

I honestly don't know how I managed to get through the whole thing without vomiting.

On the other hand, I also saw two films this evening.

Do the Right Thing
I'd never seen it before, and I really liked it! Apparently Barack and Michelle saw this film on their first date! It did fill me with the nasty burning of privilege in my belly though.

Starship Troopers
I've seen this before. However, I was looking at it through a whole new light as I recently found it was directed by the same guy that directed Showgirls!

No comments:

Post a Comment